Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Eingedeutscht


           Eindeutschen is wonderful word in German. At first I didn’t think it was a real word, but then I realized the English would be “to Germanize,” so that makes sense. It is usually used to talk about a word that was used in another language and has been Germanized. For example: shopping=shoppen (einkaufen) and download=downloaden (herunterladen). But I was thinking about how exchange students become a little “eingedeutscht”.

The other day I met someone new, and said I am from Kansas, but he still later asked whether I or my parents are German because my German accent was good. And some other people told me they couldn’t tell where my accent was from (while speaking German). Then another time I met some American tourists on a U-Bahn and talked to them in English, and they told me that at first they didn’t believe that I’m American because I had an accent. You guys, I have to focus to speak English! And sometimes I forget a simple word. And sometimes a German word seems to fit better to what I want to say. So here are some of the other things I’ve noticed about how Germany is messing with my mind.
 

I have to think about whether 3/7/13 is the 7th of March, or the 3rd of July.

In decimals, I have started using commas instead of periods (outside of math class), and write 1 and 9 the German way

I worry about which trashcan I throw things away in

I am unsurprised by nudity at pools/changing rooms  

There is=Es gibt, which literally translated is “it gives.” I have accidentally said this while speaking English

I really do like Sauerkraut. Especially warm. With Bratkartoffeln. And Wurst is a nice touch too.

I have developed a distaste and disgust for flimsy American bread. How have we lived with this?!

I have had several dreams in German.

People are always like, “Hey! Let’s have the American read stuff out loud in English!” and I’m thinking “Oh no. I’ve forgotten how to read English aloud.”

I can read and understand a public transportation plan (you have to consider they look completely crazy if you’ve never used public transportation before (aka, from America))

I started speaking in German to an American here (who can’t speak German) because I wasn’t thinking about it and it was easier.

 

             However, never fear that I’m going to come back wearing a Dirndl. I am definitely still American. To prove this, I have two pieces of evidence:

I CANNOT stand the carbonated water (Sprüdelwasser). Why someone invented this is BEYOND me. Ha, and the exchange program said we would get used to it. NOT.

There’s this food store in Stuttgart that I heard has a small American section, so I went to check it out and found POPTARTS! I flipped out. A lot. And ate two boxes worth in about a week.

So yup. Still American. Just a little eingedeutscht.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment