Saturday, February 16, 2013

Switchin' it up


Things have taken a turn, so I’m going to get a new host family. Nothing bad happened with the one I’m with now; not really. It’s just we haven’t been as close as I would want and I still felt like a guest, but I still like them and think they were really nice and have had a lot of fun. Though in January, things were a little rocky and they (and I) had some concerns, so they contacted PI (the organization) for advice, which sent me an email explaining a few things and advising that I talk with my host family. I did, and I thought it was a really good conversation because it made me understand what had been bothering my host family. There had been a lot of misunderstandings because they weren’t sure how to read my body language and thought I should show more initiative. Okay, probably true. Just from that conversation, I got a lot of ideas and motivation for how I could improve my relationship with them and be more “active”, and since then I’ve been really, really trying hard to be more involved and I can personally tell that I’ve made progress.
However, a few days after that conversation, they decided that it would be better that I get a new host family. I was really shocked and upset and surprised and didn’t understand, but from talking to them, I think I get it now. Basically, even though we got along well and such, there are some cultural and personality differences that can’t be overcome when we are living together. They feel that I can benefit better from another family, and that there’s not much we could do to improve things here. I disagree on that point; I think we could still figure it out and be more like a family. But I do agree that perhaps another family would be better than this one for me. Thinking about it, I suppose we were kind of “doomed” to end up here from the beginning. They are very philosophical and “think deep thoughts” and whatnot, and are also teachers, so they are more observant and restrained and had more this goal to be my teachers rather than to be my parents (I think). They expected and waited from me that I totally open up to them, but because everything was so new, and German was hard, and I’m naturally a little reserved, I couldn’t really be myself and didn’t open up to them in a way that they could see and understand. So they didn’t really open up to me, and because they didn’t, I didn’t. Because they are such thinkers, they really over-thought some of my actions (which I admit may not have been so clear) and misinterpreted them very badly. Ridiculously so. If they had only asked… perhaps things would have turned out differently, because I had no idea what was bothering them. It’s really complicated and hard to explain, but that’s as simply as I can put it. SO, I’m sad that things didn’t work out, because I do think they are great people, and I like the friends I’ve met here, my school and teachers, and Wiesloch and Heidelberg. Everything here has been great, and I’ll be really sad to leave. I’m going to miss everything here a LOT. But my time here won’t have been wasted. I have learned a TON from this situation, and I feel like I can start up somewhere else with a lot more confidence and act more like my real self (which is hard in another language) and communicate more effectively. I don’t want to make the same mistakes again. At this point, I have absolutely no idea where I’ll be going and when I’m leaving, but I hope it will be good and that I’ll have a family that I’m more compatible with. This has been extremely hard, but I’m glad for the things it has taught me.

5 comments:

  1. Tessa - during my exchange, I was required to move every two months. I thought it was a weird way to run the program, but it actually ended up being great. Some families I really connected with, others were ok, one was horrific. But it taught me a lot about how each family is truly different, from personalities to how they function as a unit. It's just fine to move to a new family. And on the bright side, it will be a new adventure with your new German skills. Good luck and big hugs. Danyelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moin Tessa! Das klingt alles so kompliziert - aber doch kein Einzelfall. Was Du gerade erlebst ist in einer gewissen Weise "normal" (ein besseres Wort faellt mir nicht ein): zwei Kulturen zusammen zu fuegen ist gar nicht einfach! Du hast aber auch vollig Recht, es gibt halt kulturelle Sachen und auch verschiedene Persoenlichkeiten, die einfach (auch wenn man es so sehr will) nicht zu einander passen koennen/wollen. Ich finde aber, dass Du die richtige Einstellung dazu hast: geniesse die Zeit, die Du noch in Wiesloch hast, und freue Dich auf neue Erfahrungen. Das, was Du ueber Dich selbst gelernt hast und wie andere Familien funktionieren, ist eine Bereicherung fuer Dich. Ich bin mir total sicher, dass der Wechsel Dir ganz gut tun wird. Trotzdem tut es mir echt leid fuer Dich, dass Du diese Erfahrung machen musst. Kopf hoch und halt die Ohren steif! Scott Seeger
    PS - Ist ein Paketchen von uns angekommen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, ich kenne viele andere Leute, die gewechselt haben. Ich habe trotzdem viel gelernt und bin dankbar. Es hat viel Spaß gemacht, und ich glaube auch für meine Gastfamilie. Ich will nur, dass sie auch gute Erinnerungen gehabt haben. Ich bin jetzt ganz aufgeregt für etwas neues :). Danke für alles.
      Leider nein, ich habe kein Paketchen bekommen. Es ist wahrscheinlich in der Post verschwunden. Schade, but it's the thought that counts! thanks for thinking of me :)

      Delete
  3. Wow Tessa! Dein Deutsch ist echt gut geworden! Hut ab! Ich freue mich auf ein Wiedersehen, wo wir mal richtig mit einandern auf Deutsch sprechen koennen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke!! Ich habe viel geübt ;) aber ich mache immer noch Fehler. Ich will Olathe South gerne irgendwann wieder besuchen und deine Unterrichte stören >:)
      Mwuhaha.

      Delete